The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire
A PDF of the 2 page scan is available (as fair use). This has been OCR processed to extract text which was then hand corrected and marked up as HTML for this site.
ST MARY. Of the small mid-C12 church the N wall and N door-way remain. Norman tower and tower arch rebuilt by Bodley in 1906, using the old materials. The Norman church had an apsidal chancel (foundations discovered 1896). A s aisle was added In the late C12 — cf. the re-used scalloped capital at the base of the present W pier. The foliage and carved head on the responds of the chancel arch indicate a rebuilding of c.1300. n the early C14 the s aisle was rebuilt, re-using the Norman round piers but with new pointed arches and the capitals of the responds carved with heads. The corbel-table of similar heads on the wall was added by Rickman in the early C19. Dec PISCINA and Dec windows with good tracery, w window of three lights with intersecting tracery enclosing spherical triangles, quatrefoils, and trefoils. Dec too the square-headed windows on the N. Perp clerestory. The chancel was rebuilt in the C18 and again in 1897 by Sir Ninian Comper.— WALL PAINTING On the N wall remains of a huge St Christopher;
C15. — PLATE. Cromwellian Chalice; Paten, 1633: Flagon, 1790. — BRASSES to Thomas Warner † 1514, a 13¼ in. figure, and an an unknown woman, C16, 8½ in. Also a heart with scrolls, c.1460. The original inscription has been replaced by a C16 inscription to J. Throckmorton.
ST JOSEPH (R.C.). 1870 by Charles Hansom, partly re-using an old stone coach house. The new part is of brick, in Gothic style.
RECTORY. 1890 by E. G. Bruton.
MANOR HOUSE. Probably late C17; it once had the date 1665. carved in one of the rooms. W front with two projecting gable Wings with pineapple finials and later sash-windows, still with square labels. The recessed central block has urns on a plain parapet. Doorway with shouldered architrave and pediment
SOULDERN HOUSE. An irregular C7 house with a Georgian façade of three bays and two storeys. A back doorway has fine early C18 shell hood on brackets. In the garden a GAZEBO dated 1706.